A Couple of Question Times

I'm running a bit short on writing time this week, so here is a quick recap of last week’s escapades!

Tatou, Tatou e
On Tuesday, I had the privilege of visiting Parliament for Question Time. My program advisor, two other students, and I all waited patiently outside The Beehive until it was time to find our seats. This Question Time was the first sitting since the tragedies in Christchurch took place on the previous Friday. In acknowledgment of the events, all questions were put aside and all political debate was suspended. Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, along with politicians from each of the four political parties spoke on the events. Their love and solidarity showed no end. The session concluded with a song sung in the native language, Te Reo Māori. This was a song I had learned during my time at orientation; being able to sing and contribute to the oneness of the room, at that moment, was such an amazing thing.

Below is a chalk mural in the Uni courtyard created by students on campus last week. The bright colors and goosebump-provoking messages of unification still remain.

Do You Remember, the 21st Night of...March?  
Ryan, Juliet, Pam and I hiked the Tongariro Alpine Crossing on the first day of Fall and the day of this month's full moon! This was such a beautiful hike about 4 hours north of Wellington. We had amazing weather and the joy of seeing the famous Mount Doom, as well as the most vibrant sulfur pools. I’ll go more into detail about this little adventure at a later date, but here are some fun pics in the meantime:
   

The Questions We're All Asking:
“Do you even go to school?”
Yes, matter of fact I do! I even just added an optional online course through my study abroad program that focuses on involving myself in the Community and Culture of my wonderful host city. I’m still a HUGE nerd, so don’t worry about that!!!

“Do you get homesick at all?”
Yes, more often than not. Don’t get me wrong I absolutely LOVE the people I’ve met and places I’ve been, but I miss my NH/VT crew oh so dearly. I still talk to my mom everyday even if I have nothing important to say, I voluntarily sleep on the top bunk of every hostel bed because it reminds me of summers on the Cape with Molly and the rest of the Hamilton crew, and even after three years of being away at school, I still tear up every time I see Aggie over FaceTime. During most every little adventure of mine, I think of AT LEAST one of my friends that would absolutely love it here. I wish all of my BFFs were here to enjoy every hike, brewery, and study session with me. I miss my people, and who could blame me??! Thank god for FaceTime and Facebook Messenger!


“Have you experienced any culture shock?”
Yes, any culture without Goldfish crackers is quite shocking.













Comments

  1. I'm glad you're having a good time and NH/VT I'm sure are missing you... Enjoy all your adventures and of course will be looking for more of your adventures
    Love you
    Auntie Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts