The 7 Stages of Leaving: A Kait Original

Alexa, play "Down Under" by Men at Work...

Because that's where I'll be headed in two days! Am I ready? No (I say while nodding my head like a bobble head on a dirt road). As fun as forcing my parents to watch reruns of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel with me every night has been, I'm anxious for the experiences that are soon to come! My suitcase has been "just about" packed for the past six days and I have been feeling ALL of the feels. I'm not just "going abroad this semester" anymore. I'm now actually GOING abroad for a semester of studying, adventuring, and everything in between. While preparing for this day to come, I realized something. I realized that the 7 Stages of Grieving correspond directly to leaving as well. Who woulda thought?? So, this post is dedicated to showing you, my beloved readers, the breakdown and explanation of each of my 7 Stages of Leaving.   


Stage 1: Shock and Disbelief
Over the course of the past month and a half, while all of my friends headed back to school or off on their own abroad trips, I was working as a substitute teacher. I was given the amazing opportunity to spend time in a fourth grade classroom for the entire month of January, and boy am I glad. The kids were hilarious, their love for reading and writing was like no other, and my colleague, Sarah, had a passion for teaching that inspired me each day I was there! As a future English teacher, this was my heaven. Unfortunately, as planned, I was moved into various other classrooms once January ended. This is when the shock and disbelief of actually leaving started to kick in; I knew that the time for me to head to New Zealand was just around the corner once I left fourth grade. Everything was really happening!

Despite having to face this exciting and nerve-racking reality, I am so thankful for the time I got to spend in fourth grade. I am especially thankful for the little goodbye party Sarah and the kids held for me at lunch on my very last day of school on Friday! Everyone gave me the sweetest valentines, stocked me with snacks for the plane ride, and made sure that I was stuffed full of Funfetti cupcakes (my favorite) before I left.
The kids also granted me with the greatest privilege a fourth grader could ask for; I got to pick what game we played at recess. This was HUGE. For those wondering, we played Sleepy Dancers (a Krazy Kids favorite). So, thank you to Sarah and her class for providing me with such a heartfelt farewell to remedy the shock of leaving! 


Stage 2: Denial 
I've said it once and I'll say it again: I am shocked beyond words that it is both already, and finally, time for me to make Wellington, New Zealand my temporary home. I can't believe I'm actually going, and I really can't believe that every person in my life won't be coming with me. So, for quite sometime I pretended that this wasn't the case. I'd say things like "I don't leave for a while" and "I have time to visit St. Mike's at least three times more before I go." This wasn't the case at all. I was leaving in two weeks and I got to visit St. Mike's once in that time. Luckily, the stage of denial didn't last long and feelings of excitement became overwhelming. 


Stage 3: Guilt
In this situation, guilt equates to FOMO. There are many things I will be missing when I'm gone and I really really really wish I wasn't!

To start, I won't be able to see Kyle and the rest of the PA boys' basketball team take their place as State Champs next month. Best of luck (even though you won't need it, ya studssss)!

Speaking of Kyle, I'll miss the opportunity to totally embarrass him and his crew as they walk across the stage on graduation day this June. When the day comes, please try your best to imagine me screaming at the top of my lungs out of pure HYPE for my baby brother! Welcome to the world of being an alum. Congrats, my kiddies!!!


On top of those sweet graduates, I'd like to give an early congratulations to my hunnies graduating from SMC and all other respective colleges. I love you all with every inch of my heart. Please simply print and cut out a picture of my face and bring it to every essential event just as you've done before.


The most FOMO inducing event of 2019 has got to be Abby's dance class recital. I would kill to see it and can't wait to be group FaceTimed into it with Bri and Caroline. I hate having to live this semester without my BFFs!!!


Stage 4: Anger  
The anger and bargaining stage came with packing. Wow, oh wow, was packing a tough battle to fight. Just a few nights ago, as I was sitting on the living room floor surrounded by most every piece of clothing I own, I rage-quit packing all together. You mean to tell me I can't bring every pair of shoes I own? Then I'm not bringing ANY.


Stage 5: Depression and Reflection
This stage followed very soon after my rage-quit episode. I was so frustrated by what to bring and what to leave behind that I had to call in my personal Marie Kondo—my mom. After multiple sarcastic comments addressing the fact that the floor was nowhere to be found, she tip-toed her way over to my suitcase, took a look in, and said things like "well, will you wear it???" In KonMari, this translates to "does it spark joy?" Think what you will, but desperately searching for an answer to these totally obnoxious inquiries did result in a closed suitcase weighing just under 50lbs!
     

Stage 6: Reconstruction and Working Through
Reconstruction and working through? More like reconstruction and working out each time I remembered that I'm expected to have a bathing-suit-ready body. Cheers to not following through with the idea of doing a one-minute plank per Dove chocolate heart eaten this month!!! S/O to Aggie for being my exercise pal!


Stage 7: Acceptance and Hope
Being given the opportunity to spend 4 months in such a beautiful country isn't very hard to accept, so I chose to use Stage 7 to emphasize the fact that I hope everyone knows how grateful I am for their love and support. I can't even put into words how much I appreciate each time someone says something like "oooh you're going to have so much fun" or "this'll be the experience of a lifetime." These words of encouragement mean so much and remind me of how many opportunities this world has to offer. So, thank you to everyone who is as excited as I am! Thank you to everyone at St. Mike's for your letters of recommendation and willingness to help me throughout the program and scholarship application processes. Lastly, the biggest thank you to my mom for everything she does, always. 

There you have it, folks! The 7 Stages of Leaving. Thanks again for reading!

P.S. My phone number will be changing once I'm in New Zealand, so Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp will be the best ways to reach me until that is all settled!

Comments

  1. This is so great! You must be there by now. I will be looking for your first arrival post. What a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I got here on the 20th and everything has been amazing! I just posted another update (: Thanks again for reading!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts